Sunday, October 16, 2016

October 16, 2016 ME AND YOU AND A DOG NAMED BOO

Have you ever noticed that people who have been married for a LONG time start to dress alike and actually start to look alike?? I have seen many older married couples walking together while I'm out running and it's really true--BUT--there is something else I have noticed while pounding the pavement.  Many people ACTUALLY resemble their dogs. Don't get me wrong--I mean this in the kindest way possible. I see many people walking with their pooches and they really share many characteristics--hair color--facial expression--gait--I'M SERIOUS. So--you can imagine my quandary--I can't possibly look like a dog UNLESS that dog is extremely attractive. I know there are billions of rescue dogs out there, but I can only adopt one that complements me, right??  There will be NO Neapolitan Mastiff, Mexican hairless or Pug for me.  ONLY ATTRACTIVE  DOGS--GET THE CONNECTION--PRETTY DOG--PRETTY OWNER--as I need all the help I can get at this point.  So after rescuing two highly attractive dogs, I decided to make doubly sure people saw the resemble by thinking up great names--FARRAH FAWCETT & MAGGIE MAY. I really thought that I had it all figured out until I met a guy at the beach--his dog was black, short hair, stocky, long nose--ditto--owner--I told you! And he was too young to get the connection. He had never even heard of Farrah Fawcett!!  So much for that. HA! Anyways, I really love dogs and have owned several. I currently have two rescue dogs, they are both sweet additions to our family--we would be incomplete without them. When I think about dogs and family, I immediately think of this great book I read a few years ago called The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.
This beautiful story is set in Wisconsin where young Edgar, along with his parents, Gar and Trudy, breed dogs after inheriting the farm and dogs from Gar's family. Edgar, a mute who only signs, has a special connection to the dogs, especially, the family dog Almondine. They understand each other on an entirely different level. Edgar grows up taking care of dogs and is eventually given his own litter to care for and train. Edgar's future seems set until Gar's long lost brother Clyde shows up looking for work. Gar reluctantly takes his brother back to work on the farm but shortly thereafter, tragedy strikes  changing all of their lives forever. This is a wonderful story about companionship, loyalty and the bond between a boy and his dog as Edgar and Almondine are forced run away under suspicious circumstances. While living in the wild, Edgar grows into a man with a decision to make-- Stay away forever or face the past and reclaim the farm that is rightfully his.  This is a great story-- about 600 pages long-- an 8 mile run-- beautifully written and  well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment