Monday, August 7, 2017

August 7, 2017 THE CLIMB

Survived the Kelley Road Race AND  the weather was much better than I expected--no hail--or deadly winds. Cloudy-humid-rainy--Great conditions for this usually SCORCHING RACE--I was thankful. Feeling thankful for many things though:
1) Family--A supportive family who may think my pursuits are a BIT KOOKY. THANKS for letting me go AWOL many Saturday and Sunday mornings.
 2) Health--I am lucky enough to be physically able to run 13.1 miles. When I was younger I have to confess-- I took it all for granted. Yet another lesson I've learned over the years.
3) Mental Health--I know that's up FOR debate many times but when it comes to running--IT'S THE MIND GAME THAT'S HALF THE BATTLE. Thankfully I won the battle THIS time.
3) Friends--I am fortunate to have a great group of comrades who either ran the race or came out to help celebrate. Thanks for the memories AND your unconditional support.
4)  Community--So many people who volunteered their time in order to make the race possible.
5) Location--Grateful that I moved here 24 years ago and get to run in such a beautiful area!!
So--It's been two days. BLISTERS and LEGS are feeling better. Hope to get out for an EASY 4 tomorrow and then--on to the next race. Not sure if it's determination or lunacy--does it really matter??? When I think of determination, I am reminded of a man who had to overcome many problems in his life in order to be successful--Theodore Roosevelt.
I am a huge fan of biographies, especially those written by David McCullough. McCullough is an American writer and winner of numerous awards including two Pulitzer Prizes and two National Books awards, one for my favorite biography Mornings on Horseback. Not sure why, but I have always had a fascination with Teddy Roosevelt. McCullough's book is interesting because it covers Theodore Roosevelt Sr. and his family after their arrival to New York in the 1800's,  and ends when his son, Theodore Roosevelt, becomes engaged to Edith Carow after the death of first wife, Alice, in 1884. Just how did a sickly, near-sighted boy become a war hero and then the 26th President of the United States?  Find out when you read this fascinating book about his  relationship with his father, mother,  siblings and their family life that all shaped his life. Remember when people wrote letters? Well, McCullough literally read thousands of letters all housed at the Harvard library and written by members of the Roosevelt family before writing this book. One thing that is evident in his research,Theodore Sr. had the strongest influence over Teddy throughout is life, especially, when it came to public service--thankfully.   If you are interested in politics and the rise of the Republican party, New York society, or even the ideas associated with wealth at the time period, this is the book for you.  This 379 page book--or 5 mile run-- is well-worth your time and effort. Find out about this extraordinary man who gave of himself tirelessly and helped shape the world we live in--you won't regret one mile.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent picture of you and your comrades. I know that was before the race because you three aren't drenched in the photo. Once again, you have expressed my feelings better than I could do. Having the weather cooperate enabled many of us to have unexpectedly strong runs. I didn't want to run the race, nor do I normally socialize after a race, but I'm thankful that I chose to do both. Sue and I ran yesterday. We will probably get out this morning, too. I'll look for you on the road. Thank you for your words and your friendship, Marsha. xo

    ReplyDelete