Tuesday, May 22, 2018

May 22, 2018 ROCK 'N' ROLL HIGH SCHOOL

My--I MEAN--Our seniors are graduating on Friday. They are a special group. I've had the privilege of working with many of them for A LONG TIME. I'll definitely miss them. We have learned and laughed together MANY TIMES. That's why I teach. I get to spend time with incredible students who constantly challenge me to be a better teacher. I value the relationships we've forged and hope they know that I really care and look forward to their future success. They're ALL so talented that it humbles me. Heck--I hate to admit this but some of them MIGHT even be better writers than I am. Seriously--the gifts and talents that these kids possess-- artists--musicians--actors--athletes--brainiacs--RUN THE GAMUT. Did I mention that they are also KIND and COMPASSIONATE--Attributes our world REALLY NEEDS. I wish you all good health--happiness--success.  Mason Currey wrote an interesting book recently about the habits of the highly successful called How Artists Work; Daily Rituals. 

In this little gem, Currey compiled the habits of 161 writers, composers, painters, filmmakers, poets, philosophers, scientists on how they create. The result is an interesting mix of great minds and the daily rituals that contributed to their success. Some of the notable include-- Dickens, Tolstoy, Picasso, Gershwin, Warhol, Updike, Faulkner, and Jane Austin to name a few. While some of these giants rose early to work--others slept until noon and worked into the wee hours of the night. Some self-medicated with coffee, alcohol or food to get their creative juices flowing, others took long walks in the woods or spent afternoons gardening instead.  Many forced themselves to write a certain number of words each day or spent a specified amount of time each day on task in order to create their masterpieces. This is an interesting account of the habits of some of the most creative souls in history. It's a fun read that also includes anecdotes from the author that you will enjoy. It's about 220 pages or a 2.5 mile run--that's easy to read and hard to put down. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment