Friday, July 13, 2018

July 13, 2018 EVERYDAY I WRITE THE BOOK

2 years. Can't believe The Belle of the Book just marked its second year!! Over 25,000 views from all over the world. Even been--liked--retweeted--messaged--by several authors whose books I've reviewed. VERY COOL.  When I started this blog--I had a dream.  I really wanted to MATCH BOOKS WITH PEOPLE--A CAREER CHANGE. Then low and behold--I was reading the New York Times Book Review a few months ago and--SOMEONE STOLE MY IDEA.  They have a new column called Dear Match Book--SO CLEVER. Tears literally formed in my eyes--pretty sure I screamed and had a temper tantrum too!  I had a VAGUE IDEA--but someone else MADE it a REALITY.  UGH!! It's sort of like a Dear Abby column. People write to Match Book about their BOOK LIVES and ask her for literary advice and book recommendations. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!?! I get a pit in my stomach EVERY time I read the column. Shaking my head--cursing myself. I knew it was a good idea. In Kristin Hannah's new book The Great Alone, Ernt Allbright thinks it's a good idea to move his family to Alaska but quickly realizes they are completely unprepared for the harshness of the land.
Ernt Allbright is damaged. He is a POW from the Vietnam War who comes home a different man. After receiving a letter that he has been left land in Kenai, Alaska, Ernt impulsively packs the VW van and moves his family to Alaska. Although his wife Cora and thirteen year old daughter Leni have no interest in Alaska, they hope the move will help their emotionally scarred, abusive father escape his demons. With the help of other homesteaders, including Large Marge and Mr. Walker, the Allbrights learn how to survive their first winter when they have 18 hours of night and Ernt's mental state is challenged. This is a frightening sometimes troubling story of love, survival, loss and human resilience. Don't want to say too much more because I don't want to give anything else away. This is a must read. The descriptions of the Alaskan scenery,  untamed wilderness and stark conditions come alive through Hannah's words. This novel is about 420 pages--but it's a real page turner--so it's about a 4 mile run that you will not be able to put it down. Seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment