Wednesday, December 23, 2020

December 23, 2020 HERE COMES THE JUDGE

 LITERALLY SHAKING MY HEAD. Can't believe people post SO MANY SPELLING ERRORS on
social media.  I understand that SPELL CHECK is convenient BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE-- USE A DICTIONARY. Save yourself the embarrassment. FYI--YOU ARE BEING JUDGED BY WHAT YOU POST ONLINE. 
 Here are a few highlights from Face Book:
  • Santa Claus almost got caught RAPING presents                             
  • I'm gonna kick YOUR'RE ass
  • I'd rather be pissed off, THEN pissed on
  • So excited! I was excepted into my 1st choice collage
  • Is it just me or does nobody have MANORS these days
  • No OFFENCE but change ur profile  pic.....LOOSE some WAIT n you will look good
  • If YOUR going to GRAMER-NAZI someone, make sure YOUR UN-GRAMER-NAZI-ABLE
Hey, I'm not saying I'm perfect BUT at least I make an effort. I even check the dictionary so that I don't look like an IDIOT. Next week-- I'll take a look at punctuation errors on social media. That should be a hoot!! In the meantime, I'll tell you about the 2013 National Book Award winning book The Good Lord Bird by James McBride.
Henry Shackleford is a twelve year old slave who lives in  Kansas territory in 1856, an area that is a battleground for anti/pro slave forces. One day Abolitionist John Brown comes into town and causes quite a stir. By the end of the day, Brown has killed Henry's master and Henry (mistaken as a girl by Brown) is forced to join the abolitionist movement. Brown later nicknames Henry--Little Onion-- and he continues the charade in order to stay safely away from gun fights.  Little Onion stays with Brown and his raiders through many adventures and eventually ends up at Harper's Ferry in 1859--where Brown leads a slave revolt that goes horribly wrong. This highly entertaining novel is a mixture of history and imagination about one of the most tumultuous times in American history. It is written in language and dialect of the time period that might take some getting used to but it's well worth your effort. The characters in the story are interesting and many of their antics are laugh-out-loud funny. This 480 page book or 6 mile run was recently made into a miniseries and can be seen on SHOWTIME but read the book first!! Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment