Friday, July 7, 2017

July 7, 2017 CRUEL TO BE KIND

Ran through a DELUGE this morning with my comrade. WOW. The rain was like a stampede-- the roads were LITERALLY flooded in only a matter of minutes. GOOD TIMES. I love running in the rain this time of year and my comrade--PUTS UP WITH IT. I know she won't let me down when the going gets tough!  So we've been chatting a lot lately about "old sayings."  I know you're thinking to yourself WHAT??  Just bear with me. When you spend as much time as we do pounding the pavement--WEIRD stuff comes up. So without further ADO--I'D LIKE TO BRING YOU BACK TO THE PAST. Step inside my time machine and remember these STRANGE but FUNNY things we heard a million times when we were growing up:
 --Over my DEAD body! --I've had it UP TO HERE with you! --I'll SMACK you into next week! --Quit making a MOUNTAIN  out of a molehill! --Don't use THAT tone with me! --I'm gonna give you to the COUNT OF THREE! --Why? Because I said SO! --Cool your Jets!  --Save that talk for the GUTTER! --When HELL freezes over! --I'm gonna give you something to REALLY cry about! --Hold your horses! --Who told you life was fair? --So help me GOD! --Don't make me repeat myself!  HAY is for horses! ---Wait til your FATHER gets home! --Clear your plate....people are starving in Africa.  Don't get SMART with me! --How would you like a KNUCKLE sandwich?  AND last but certainly not least--One of my favorites--YOU'RE DRIVING ME TO DRINK!   It's no wonder we're all crazy right?? HA! Classics-- Every ONE of them. I'm actually thinking of bringing some of them back with my kids. I'll let you know how it goes!
 I'm sure Jono Riley, the narrator of Ron McLarty's novel Traveler heard many of these classics too while growing up in his blue collar neighborhood in East Providence during the 1960s.  After receiving news that his childhood sweetheart, Marie, has died,  Jono a fifty-something year old actor/bartender living in New York City, decides to travel home for the funeral. This sets in motion a story that easily weaves between the past and present as Jono is flooded with memories of the old neighborhood, the gang, and some things that are probably better off left alone. The mystery of who fired the shotgun 40 years ago that lodged a bullet in Marie's back is suddenly at the forefront again.  Marie has apparently died as a result of the bullet finally piercing an artery. The gang-Jono, Cubby, Billy and Bobby--have to piece together this old mystery in order to make peace with the past and finally move on. If you're from New England, specifically Rhode Island, you will really love this book as McLarty's descriptions are second to none-- the old neighborhoods and blue collar vocabulary are believable and fun because McLarty actually grew up there.  This book is ultimately a winner  because it's about loyalty and the importance of childhood friends. It's a trip down memory lane you won't forget. So, find out what really happened to Marie when you read this page turner of 290 pages. It's only a 3 mile run --with a twist at the end--so watch out. Happy Reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment