Sunday, January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019 WHEN I'M SIXTY-FOUR

Remember when you thought 50 was REALLY OLD???? Seriously--when I was a kid--I thought that was ANCIENT. Okay maybe not ANCIENT but someone --THAT AGE-- certainly had one foot in the grave. They'd certainly be Pushing up Daisies SOON!!  It just seemed SO DAMN OLD TO ME.  I've obviously had to rethink those CRAZY NOTIONS-- trade them in-- for some that work in my favor--NOW THAT I'M 54. That's right--THE BIG F-I-V-E-F-O-U-R. Today I'm thinking--Fifty is the NEW Thirty. That works for me--SORT OF-- if I color my hair every 5 weeks, exercise religiously and wear expensive clothes. I'll also take--Age is ONLY a Number. That really covers a HUGE area right?? It's general--vague and positive. Seriously-- There's a quip out there designed to make anyone feel better about AGING. One of my all time favorites would have to be--I'm NOT getting older--I'm getting better. OKAY REALLY??  I guess I can talk myself into that too.  I'd like to use the old stand by--I'm NOT Older-Just Wiser-- but NOT sure that's the case as I keep doing the some dumb things. I'll have to SCRATCH that one and go with--WOMEN AGE LIKE FINE WINE instead.  Happy Bday to me.
Willa Drake, the main character in Anne Tyler's new book Clock Dance,  has reached a certain age too--when she decides to set her life on a new path.
Willa and her husband Peter have recently retired and moved to Arizona. While Peter is happy with the move, Willa feels lost and unfulfilled. One day she receives a phone call from a stranger that ultimately changes her life. The stranger asks Willa to come to Baltimore to take care of her son's ex-girlfriend's young daughter Cheryl.  Although this is out of character for Willa, she decides to fly to Baltimore for a few days to help out and possibly visit with  her son while she is in town. This impulsive decision is the springboard that changes Willa's life. After arriving in Baltimore, Willa meets the neighbor who called her and then moves in with Cheryl to take care of her while her mom is in the hospital. Cheryl lives in a lower-class neighborhood surrounded by quirky, kind-hearted people who look out for each other. They inadvertently  challenge many of Willa's long held notions and make her question some of the choices she's made in her life. You will have to pick up a copy of this fine novel yourself if you want to find out what happens to Willa, Peter, Cheryl and the neighbors. This 300 page book--4 mile run--is by a Pulitzer Prize winning  author and  does not disappoint. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment