Saturday, January 26, 2019

January 26, 2019 DON'T THINK I DON'T THINK ABOUT IT

 A day late and a dollar short--again. Yup. I'm talking about the dreaded New Year's Resolution. Don't think I don't think about it. I DO--BUT I keep changing my mind. So--instead of the N.Y.R. --I've decided to make a PLAN for 2019:

1) Run again--pain free--just for fun--that's my GOAL. Not going to worry about racing OR how many miles I run each week.  It's a waste of ENERGY. Went out for a little jaunt today and it felt--JUST OKAY--but being in the SUNSHINE WAS GLORIOUS.  Still felt the pain but it was more of a NUMB pain--probably from the cortisone shot.
2) Practice Ashtanga yoga at least TWICE a week. It is an INCREDIBLE experience of the MIND--BODY--BREATH.
3) Be Mindful--live in the moment. Not going to worry about tomorrow or next week. Another HUGE WASTE OF ENGERY.
4)Remind myself to be thankful EVERY DAY for--FAMILY--FRIENDS--HEALTH.
5)Practice Kindness--Kindness--Kindness. Smile--Smile--Smile. Life is too short.

See why I couldn't decide?? Too many things I need to work on this year. This is probably how the narrator of Jens Christian Grondahl's novel Silence in October  felt when his wife of eighteen years left him. The narrator of this gem is an art historian who lives in Copenhagen with his wife Astrid. He wakes up one morning and his wife announces that she is leaving. So begins this dialogue free story. The narrator spends the whole of this beautifully written book examining the last eighteen years of his life--marriage--kids--empty nest. He struggles with many of the mistakes he's made and then wonders whether his wife has done the same. This is an introspection of the demise of a marriage.  The narrator wrestles  with many notions associated with married life. A few that stick out in my mind--Can two people live together for 18 years and really not know each other?? Did they originally know each other and lose each other along the way?? If I knew the answer to most of the questions the narrator struggled with I'd probably be a millionaire and have my own talk show.  His concerns are valid and the issues are real-- for any long married couple. This dense book is about 300 pages or a 6 mile run that will definitely hit the mark if you have been married for many years. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment