Friday, August 2, 2019

August 2, 2019 GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD

Plastic bags. I'm not a huge fan--but confess that I've been using "Paper in plastic--packed heavy"--at the grocery store for years. Until Now--I know there is a NEW tax on plastic bags--WHATEVER--but that's not what changed my mind. While at East Matunuck State Beach yesterday--I had a life changing experience.  I saw a poor seagull walking along the beach with a plastic bag in its mouth. Tried to lure the plastic bag out of the seagull's mouth by offering it some food but it flew away. So sad. That poor seagull either choked to death or will have a slow painful death after the plastic bag obstructs its digestive tract. I can't stop thinking about it. The story gets worse. While trying to help the bird--a woman walked by and said, "Good it will die now." WHO SAYS THAT. I was shocked. WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO?? I turned to her APPALLED and said, " How could you say such a thing about an animal?? And she ignored me. I wanted to jump on her and punch her in the head. WHAT DID THE SEAGULL DO TO HER---steal a few potato chips??? When did HUMANS become so INHUMANE??
Juliet Armstrong wonders the same thing after she becomes a spy in Kate Atkinson's novel Transcription. Set during World War II in England, Juliet is recruited by M15 to monitor and transcribe the conversations of British Fascist sympathizers. As the war continues, Juliet becomes a double agent charged with  turning over sympathizers to the government. Her intrigues during the war are somewhat questionable and she gains many enemies who come back for vengeance after the war.  The novel then turns to the 1950's where Juliet and many of her cohorts are now working for BBC. She is a radio producer trying to come to terms with the war. Just when she thinks her war days are over, she is pulled in for one last job that could get her killed. I am generally a big fan of Atkinson but have to confess that I found this novel a bit confusing because it jumped around too much. She is a great writer though--so it could be that I'm just a bit preoccupied with other things. If you like mystery, murder, suspense and spy novels then you should give this a try and see what you think. It's about 350 pages--4 mile run--that I could see being made into a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment