Wednesday, January 29, 2020

January 29, 2020 FOR THE FIRST TIME

Although I HATE getting older--I have to admit that there are a few good things about it. One of the BEST things-- I REALLY don't care what other people think. OKAY--maybe the cocktails helped too. So--Last weekend I went to Boston to visit my daughter and we went out to celebrate my birthday. Talk about FUN. She took me to a piano bar and the next thing I knew--I was called on stage for a birthday song. YUP--I VERY eagerly ran on to the stage and hopped on the piano for my song. I WAS a famous performer for 5 minutes. I Didn't feel--embarrassed --self-conscious--SHY at all. I was a REAL HAM. WHO KNEW???  I NEVER would have done that when I was younger BUT now that I'm older--I totally embraced it. I was ALL in. When was the last time you did something out of the ordinary??
The three main characters in Kate Quinn's new book The Huntress had extraordinary lives because they lived on their own terms. The Huntress is a historically based novel set just after World War II in Austria and the United States that is told through three different characters.  Ian Graham, a journalist during the war, is now on the trail of Nazi war criminals.  He is obsessed with catching the Huntress because she killed his brother during the war. Nina Markova was a member of a Russian, all female bomber regiment during the war. After falling behind enemy lines, she barely escaped with her life as the Huntress tried to kill her. After the war, Nina is recruited to help track down the Huntress because she is the only person who can identify her. The final character is Jordan McBride. She lives in post-war Boston with her long widowed father, Dan. Shortly after meeting a German widow and her young daughter, Dan decides that it's time to marry again even though his daughter has suspicions about the widow's past. Don't want to say much more about the book except that I loved it. It was well written, the characters were interesting and it was a real page turner. It's about 550 pages--or a 5 mile run--that flies.

No comments:

Post a Comment