Saturday, January 4, 2020

January 4, 2020 ONLY SIXTEEN

Found out last week that an old boyfriend died. Talk about feeling your own mortality. Hadn't seen him in many years but the news really shook me. He was my first love. I was in high school and he was in the Air Force. It was a difficult relationship because it was a long distance thing--most of the time. I have fond memories of our time together but we were BOTH too young and dumb. Thankfully I didn't marry him-- BUT--what if I had married him all those years ago?? I was glad to hear that he later married and had two daughters. I hope he was happy. I hope he forgave me for breaking his heart. Wish I could have seen him one more time.  You never-ever know. Every day is really a gift. The Conroy family learns this lesson a little late in The Dutch House by Ann Patchett.
This lovely novel spans five generations and is narrated by Danny Conroy. As the story unfolds, Cyril Conroy, the patriarch of the family, has finally made enough money to buy The Dutch House for his wife, Elna and children. The house is a sprawling estate in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Danny and his sister Maeve love the house, but their mother feels otherwise. When Mauve is ten years old, her mother abandons the family, leaving them crushed. Luckily, they have a loving household staff  to pick up the slack, but the loss haunts the children forever. After their father remarries a calculating widow, he suddenly dies and she inherits everything. Danny and Maeve  then find themselves homeless and penniless with only each other to rely on. After losing the house, the two become obsessed with the past which ultimately effects their adult lives. What happened to their mother? Will they ever see her again? Will they ever get The Dutch House back? Find out what happens when the sibling are finally forced to confront the past and the people that left them behind. I am a huge fan of Patchett and this novel does not disappoint. The writing is thoughtful--the characters are interesting--the house is incredible. This book is about 350 pages or a 4 mile run that will stick with you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment