Saturday, April 18, 2020

April 18, 2020 TAKE THE LONG WAY HOME

The LONG book. Yup-- it's a commitment. But since we ALL have SO much EXTRA time these days--WHY NOT??  There are many good things about reading a longer book. Better character development--more intriguing plot--many times multigenerational--an ending that doesn't feel rushed either. I personally love the LONG novel because I get to spend MORE TIME in another world. A world that sometimes is much BETTER than my own---OR Worse--so that I can appreciate my own. One more great thing about the long novel--I don't have to WORRY about which book I'm going to read next because the LONG BOOK is going to keep me busy for quite a while. WHAT A RELIEF.  I'm currently reading an 845 pager. It's THICK. Remember Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurty? It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1985. I'm lost in the American frontier with a couple of Texas rangers, outlaws, whores, ladies, cowboys and settlers. It's a good place to be. If you're not interested in the West, I've come up with a list of other GREAT LONG books that you can lose yourself in.
1. The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien--530 pages
2. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry--624 pages
3. A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving--645 pages
4. Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham--650 pages
5. Bleak House by Charles Dickens--680 pages
6. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt--880 pages
7. I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb--900 pages
8. 11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King--1000 pages
9. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett--1104 pages
10.--These writers have written several books--so if you still don't want the giant commitment--check out their other  books. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment