Thursday, April 9, 2020

April 9, 2020 ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE


Sometimes it's difficult to keep a positive mind set. With worrying about family, friends, rainy days and lack of toilet paper--somethings gotta give right? Seriously, I have to work REALLY hard to remain optimistic. When I start feeling down--I immediately STOP and think about all the things I'm grateful for-- And that usually sets me straight. I also try to surround myself with positive people because negative people suck the life out of me. A sense of HUMOR is SUPER important right now too--so I always have time for funny people . Been trying to stick to my routine as much as possible too. Up and out of the house bright and early for a run--Fresh air and sunshine make everything OK. Trying to stick to my regular eating routine too because it's WAY TOO easy to fall off the FOOD wagon  and that would send me into a purple funk. Hope you are finding ways to stay positive too. Remember--the only thing we can control is ourselves. 
 If you're looking for something positive to do this afternoon, then pick up a copy of J. Courtney Sullivan's family drama  Saints For All Occasions. Nora and Theresa Flynn, the two protagonists in the story, live with their family in a small village in Ireland.  After Nora's fiance, Charlie, leaves Ireland to settle in America, he invites Nora and  Theresa to join him.  Nora is the shy, practical, responsible sister, whereas, Theresa is the social, outgoing sister who just wants to have fun. After settling in Boston, Nora questions her decision to marry Charlie while her sister gets pregnant. Nora is then forced to take charge as Theresa is sent away and their once close relationship is forever changed. Fast forward fifty years. Nora is now a widow with four grown children. After tragedy strikes, Nora and her sister are forced together again to face secrets from the past and try to reconcile their relationship. This lovely novel is told through alternating voices with wonderful, interesting characters. Sullivan is spot on with her characterization in this Irish immigrant/Irish Catholic family saga. This book is about 350 pages or a 4 mile run that will get you through a rainy afternoon. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment