Saturday, May 23, 2020

May 23, 2020 STILL THE SAME


My life feels like the movie Groundhog's Day. You know-- Where Bill Murray wakes up and everything is--EXACTLY THE SAME--every day. Yup--The MONOTONY IS KILLING ME. I love my family as much as the next person--BUT SERIOUSLY--ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Being together THIS MUCH-is getting OLD.There is NOTHING left to talk about. O-M-G. Trying so HARD to stay positive but SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE. I can only run SO many miles--then it's back to the prison. THE DREADED ROUTINE. HOW MUCH CAN I COOK?? How many times can I wipe down the counters?? Scrub the toilets? Sweep the dog hair? Fold the leggings? You know things are bad when GOING TO THE GROCERY STORE IS THE BEST PART OF MY DAY--at least its's a diversion from my routine. Hopefully things will get better soon. Outdoor venues are starting to open and one of the libraries has opened with curbside service--so that's a plus. I'm Trying not to FALL DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE in the meantime. Udo, better known as Little Bee, has problems of her own in Chris Cleave's novel from 2010 Little Bee.  
Little Bee is a young Nigerian girl who flees her home for a better life during the Nigerian Oil Wars. As the story begins, Little Bee and four other refugees are being released from an Immigration Detention Center near London. After staying at a farm near the center, Little Bee decides to make her way to the home of Sarah Summers and Andrew O'Rourke--the only people she knows in London. Little Bee and her sister briefly met the couple two years earlier when Sarah and Andrew were on a  beach in Nigeria during their vacation. After a confrontation with the sisters and some hostile soldiers, Andrew lost his license while Sarah lost a finger. Two years later,  Little Bee shows up at the house on the day of Andrew's funeral and stays on to help Sarah and her son Charlie. I don't want to say much more except that this is a book about choices. Some are good, others bad but they ALL shape our lives. I enjoyed this book that was made into a movie in 2018 although I did not find some parts believable--but that's just me. It's a 270 page book or 4 mile run that is definitely worth your time. Enjoy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment