Thursday, May 28, 2020

May 28, 2020 TRAIN WHISTLE BLUES

I'm one of those people who rarely watches the movie after I read  the book. And when I do--I'm generally disappointed with the movie version. It's just impossible to capture so many details on film. It's also REALLY annoying when a book gets made into a movie and they completely change the plot AND the characters. So I went against my better judgement the other night and watched a movie right after I finished reading the book. The movie was made back in 1991 and was a HUGE hit. It was nominated for a few Academy Awards and was loaded with stars. I will admit that I really enjoyed the movie and if I hadn't just finished the book--I would have probably loved it--except for a few things.  First of all, the movie was different. The plot was rearranged and changed because several characters in the book were not in the movie. UGH.  I also didn't agree with some of the actresses chosen for certain parts--but that's my deal. I had a picture in my mind about what the characters should look like and some were completely different in the film. OKAY--I've kept you waiting long enough. Believe it or NOT--I finally got around to reading Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg.
This wonderful story centers on the friendship of Evelyn Crouch, a middle-aged housewife and an elderly woman named Ninny Threadgoode. The two meet at Rose Terrace Nursing Home while Evelyn is visiting her mother-in law-in the 1980's.  Evelyn enjoys Ninny's company so she decides to visit with her while her husband sees his Momma. Ninny regales Evelyn with stories of  the Threadgoode family  and the Whistle Stop Cafe in Alabama.  Many of the stories focus on the adventures  Idgie Threadgoode and Ruth Jamison, owners of the cafe during the Depression riddled South. Her stories are  filled with colorful characters including Smokey, Big George, Sispey  to name a few. This novel explores many themes including family, ageing, racism, lesbianism and friendship. If you read this book back in 1987--it's worth a second read. It's about 400 pages --or a 4 mile--run that's filled with lessons we could really use in 2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment