Sunday, April 7, 2024

April 7, 2024 OCTOPUS'S GARDEN

 

Happy to report that I made it to another Spring break. It gets harder every year. Between teaching five classes, running the art department, National Art Honor Society, Mock Trial, Debate, hanging multiple art shows. OMG. I'm exhausted. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not 35 anymore. I need to start to let a few things go at work. Give some of these responsibities to the younger teachers.....if they will take over.......but not sure what to  give up first. Maybe Mock Trial because it's my least favorite and most time consuming. I only do it because the kids love it and it is a great thing to have on a high school resume. Determined to let one thing go each year until I retire or I 'm not gonna make it. In other news, I just finished a book that I wasn't so sure about, but ended up really enjoying. It was  called Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. This heartwarming tale is set in Washington's Sowell Bay. One of the main characters is Tova Sullivan, a widow who works the night shift cleaning Sowell Bay Aquarium. Another important character is Marcellus, a giant Pacific octopus who lives at the aquarium. Marcellus is a very intelligent creature who has figured out how to escape his tank. One night while out of his tank, he gets tangled in electrical cords and is saved by Tova. This is the beginning a beautiful, but strange friendship. As the story continues, the reader is introduced to Cameron Cassmore, a thirty year old loser from California. After learning information about his "long lost father", Cameron flies to Washington determined to meet his father and make him share his wealth. Another important character is Ethan Mack, grocery store owner in Sowell Bay, who is secretly in love with Tova. Each chapter in this book alternates between these characters as the reader learns how each is connected to the other. This 368 novel is a real page-turner. At times, I had trouble putting it down. At it's heart, this is the story about love, loss, grief, family and friendship that will stick with you for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment