Friday, June 30, 2017

June 30, 2017 HOPELESSLY DEVOTED TO YOU

If you've read my blog before then you already know that I have a SLIGHT OBSESSION with Sam Elliott. I read a review of his new movie yesterday that--OF COURSE sparked my interest. OKAY--I'll admit it--I had to go on youtube to watch the movie trailers--interviews--and then more interviews--because that's what happens when you have a SLIGHT OBSESSION right?? Sam Elliott is ONE of the few actors of a certain age WHOSE DOOR IS STILL OPEN. Seriously--I STILL can't get enough of the voice, mustache--the WHOLE PACKAGE. I'm actually going to spend a few hours with him this afternoon--at the movie theater--IN MY GLORY.  FYI--I'm pretty sure Sam and I are meant to be together--in another life. The only reason we are not together now is as follows.  A LONG time ago I came up with a criteria--3 rules that I have FOLLOWED STRICTLY--when it comes to men.  1--NEVER, EVER date anyone better looking than you are.  2--NEVER, EVER date anyone skinnier.  3--NEVER, EVER date anyone shorter. HENCE--the problem. SAM might be a  SMIDGEN  better looking than I am. That means the spotlight would be on him and that's NOT GONNA WORK FOR ME. Although he is taller than I am-- he looks a TINY BIT skinnier than I am. AGAIN--that's not gonna work for me. I can't be with someone who has SMALLER thighs either. So Sam--as much as I want it to work--I have some real  issues that will FOREVER KEEP US APART--in this life anyways! Don't worry--I'll see you on the big screen.
  I could definitely see Sam  Elliott cast in the movie version of a great book I just finished--The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley by Hannah Tinti. Samuel Hawley is a gun for hire who has been on the run for several years--for a past he can't escape. He is also a father--not your typical dad though--as his daughter Loo can handle a gun like nobody's business. When Loo turns twelve, Hawley decides it's time to settle down. He brings Loo to Olympus, Massachusetts, the hometown of his deceased wife, Lily. This is a coming of age story for Loo after settling in Olympus that alternatives with stories of how Hawley acquired each of his twelve gun shot wounds. When Hawley isn't being a father to  his daughter, he is actually a violent, heartless criminal who hauls cash and  makes trades for others that often involve merciless killing. He and his friend Jove pull jobs all over the United States--they may be rich but they have burned many bridges and live with serious regret. The chapters about Hawley are frightening and many times repulsive but I still found something to like about him. Maybe his love for his daughter redeems him. Loo is also an interesting character. Moving to her mother's hometown, she finally gets to know her grandmother and learn all about her mother who died when she was a baby.  This is a fun, exciting ride that you don't want to miss. It's about 400 pages---an easy read though--only a  4 mile run. Hope there's a sequel or a movie of this soon. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment