Tuesday, September 5, 2017

September 5, 2017 TEACHER TEACHER

Who would ever want to teach their own kids?? Sounds horrible right--TMT?? Believe it or not-- it was  one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had--Seriously. Our kids only get to see us as parents--the cook, cleaner, tutor, chauffeur--I COULD GO ON FOR DAYS-- but I'll spare you. My kids got to see me in a completely different way--WHEN THEY SPENT-- a year in my classroom. They called me Mrs. Regan and as far as I was concerned--they were just another member of the class. REALLY. They learned that their mother was much more than a mom.  I'm a very different person at school. My teacher persona clicks on and I'm -teaching-laughing-teasing the kids.  Hoping that they enjoying spending time with me as much as I do them.  It's a two way street.  I feel very fortunate that I was also able to see my kids in a different light too. They weren't my kids at school--they were students--EAGER to learn new things.  I was also lucky enough to forge lasting relationships with their friends too.  It was a WIN--WIN for all involved.
 Randy Pausch, a university professor with pancreatic cancer, shared his thoughts on life in his wonderful book The Last Lecture.  Pausch gave his Last Lecture in 2008 when he knew his illness was terminal.  This is a wonderful book full of inspiration for many reasons.  Pausch's lecture reminds the reader to live each day with purpose--to seize the moment. He spends time discussing his childhood/life to offer words of wisdom to not only his audience but also his own children. This is not a pity party, Pausch is actually quite funny and upbeat. Pausch wants people to come away from his lecture  understanding that WE must all live life to the fullest because WE never know what's around the corner-- appreciate life and have fun. It's ultimately up to the reader find joy in everything. That's the challenge.  This little treasure actually stayed on the bestseller list for 112 weeks. It has also been translated into 48 different languages--selling over 5 million copies in the United States alone. It's only 224 pages long--a mere 3 mile jog--that will have you adjusting your attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment