Wednesday, March 25, 2020

March 25, 2020 TIME IS ON MY SIDE

It's been 11 days. 11 days since I started social distancing-- And it's not easy.  Been trying to keep busy. I'm teaching remotely from home so that takes up a chunk of time, but I still get antsy. Believe it or not-- I can only read SO many hours before my head starts spinning. So-- I decided to tackle some projects that I've been neglecting for MANY years. Spent one afternoon cleaning my grandmother's tea set. Talk about neglect--who knew it was supposed to shine. Then I moved on to the brass candlesticks--they never looked so good.  Then I decided to tackle the WALLPAPER that's been in the hallway upstairs-- that I've been ignoring -- for 25 years. Got myself a steamer and spent hours scraping that nasty crap off the wall. It wasn't as horrible a job as I thought --so --I'm actually going to attack the wallpaper downstairs next. Why not?? I've got SO much time on my hands--I might as well accomplish something or--GO STIR CRAZY. 
If you would like to escape your life and go to India for awhile, then read The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar. Armaiti, Laleh, Kavita and Nishta were inseparable when the attended college in Bombay in the 1970s. They were young, idealistic women who challenged authority and pushed for social change. But that was over thirty years ago. As the novel begins, Armaiti, who moved to America years ago, has a terminal brain tumor and her dying wish is to see her old friends one more time. Although the foursome lost touch many years ago, Armaiti decides to phone Laleh in India, explain her prognosis, and ask her to find Kavita and Nishta to get together one last time. Laleh and Kavia are on board, but but Nishta is undecided as her husband Iqbal has turned into a religious zealot who forbids his wife to leave the house. This is a lovely story of friendship, loyalty and love. It's also about religion, sexism and life in modern day India. I loved the characters and think you will too. It's about 330 pages or a 5 mile run that will help you appreciate your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment