Sunday, September 20, 2020

September 20, 2020 YOU'RE A HARD HABIT TO BREAK

 Another thing keeping me from my blog these days is the Sudoku. Don't laugh, I'm serious. I'm kind of addicted.  Add that to my list of addictions---running, yoga, reading, crossword puzzles,  words with friends, cocktail hour and you'll have to agree--THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY. It was easy to fit it all in when I was home BUT now that I'm back at school--I'm finding it increasingly difficult. SOMETHINGS GOT TO GIVE.  I can't give up running--yoga-- reading-- my current fixation with SUDOKU-- OR cocktail hour--so I've had to cut back a little on my crossword puzzles, words with friends and THE BLOG. Don't get me wrong--I love writing the blog BUT it takes TIME. In addition to time--it takes BRAIN CELLS--which seem to be FRIED by the time I get home from school. It's HARD to come up with something CLEVER to say--when the brain's on PAUSE. No worries--this too shall pass. I'll find a way to make it all work because I can't give up ANY of my compulsions. They make me--ME and it's ALL GOOD.                                                                           

Vivian Morris, the main character of Elizabeth Gilbert's novel City of Girls, has a few addictions of her own that eventually land her in a heap of trouble.  As the story begins, Vivian Morris is a 95 year old woman from New York City, looking  back on her life as she responds to a letter from an old acquaintance. Vivian describes herself as a WASP who is sent to live with her Aunt Peg after being expelled from Vassar. Aunt Peg and her secretary Olive own a run down theatre where they produce shows for working class people. Vivian is initially shocked by their lifestyle, but quickly falls in love with the theatre, the quirky actors and the showgirls who reside at the theatre. As a seamstress, Vivian is finally allowed to design costumes and join the cast on their adventures in the city. She loves the bars, men, dancing, and the lifestyle a little too much. One night after too many drinks, Vivian makes a mistake that threatens to ruin not only her life, but the lives of other people she loves. Find out what happens to Vivian, Peg, Olive and a host of other great characters when you read this fun story for yourself.  It's an easy read of about 480 pages--4 mile run--that keeps you interested until the very last page. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment