Wednesday, November 25, 2020

November 25, 2020 THANKFUL

 Thanksgiving 2020. It's going to be weird. First time in 30 years that we won't be with the cousins. No Buffers--just my lovely family. Yup--it's gonna be weird.  It's all good though. I just keep reminding myself to be grateful. I have a lot to be thankful for.......

  • My family                                                   
  • Good health
  • Employment
  • Insurance
  • Good Friends
  • Laughter
  • Sunshine
  • Running
  • Reading
  • Yoga
  • Art
  • Wisdom
  • My dogs
  • Happy hour
  • Biden
  • Students
  • My life
If you're feeling out of sorts this holiday season--stop--make a gratitude list and things will turn around. Another thing that always helps me get through tough times is a good book. I'm currently reading Kate Morton's best selling book The Secret Keeper. I love Kate Morton, she is a great writer who takes you to another place and time. She also really understands people and creates characters who are interesting and complex. As this novel unfolds, it's 1961 and  Laurel Nicolson, a sixteen year old girl living on the family farm,  witnesses a horrendous crime involving her mother that changes her life. The novel then jumps to 2011. It's 50 years later, and the Nicolson family is gathering at the family farm to celebrate their mother's 90th birthday. Laurel realizes that time is running out if she ever wants to find out what really happened in 1961.  Laurel starts to question her mother, Dorothy, who is not in good health, and realizes that her mother is haunted by a past that Laurel knows nothing about. The novel then shifts to 1940 during World War II, when Dorothy (Dolly) lived in France and had a boyfriend named Jimmy and a "friend" named Vivien. The novel jumps between Dolly's perspective of the past and Vivien's which  really adds another layer of mystery to the story. What happened during the war that caused Dorothy to commit a crime in 1961?   I still don't know. I have 92 pages left.  I'm dying to finish the book on one hand, and don't want it to end on the other. It's always a dilemma for me. I heard that there's a real twist at the end of the story......this book is about 495 pages or a 5 mile run that will keep you guessing til the bitter end. Happy Thanksgiving. Gobble Gobble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment