Thursday, December 1, 2022

December 1, 2022 CRAZY FOR YOU


 I get a little crazy when it comes to books. Example: I read Kate Atkinson's books Life After Life and Transcription a few years ago. I liked them BUT I didn't love them. I knew she was a good writer SO I didn't give up. I was in South Carolina last summer SWEATING MY ASS OFF and decided to cool off in this great little book store. It was there that I came upon the 25th anniversary edition  of Kate Atkinson's first novel Behind the Scenes at the Museum. And I was hooked. I was all in. Crazy. I'm currently in the middle of a DEEP DIVE. It's Kate Atkinson OR BUST.  Who knew she wrote a detective series that became a TV series in 2011? Me--as I'm currently living in Edinburgh helping Jackson Brodie solve his latest mystery. Did I say CRAZY.  Seriously though--Reading takes me to places I've never been and introduced me to so many memorable characters along the way. It's simply amazing. Atkinson's detective series is currently five books so I'll review the first, Case Histories.  Jackson Brodie is a former policeman working as a private investigator in Edinburgh. He's recently divorced and is the protective father of a daughter named Marlee. As the story unfolds, Brodie gets more then he bargained for as he gets wrapped up in several mysteries that revolve around the Land family. Three year old Olivia's disappearance thirty years earlier, the murder of the husband by the wife years later and the most recent murder of a woman in a law office. Brodie, himself, is a case history, as the reader learns about his past and the demons that haunt his dreams and drive him in his chosen profession. The story is filled with interesting characters, insights, biting humor and twists at every turn.  Winter is coming and this is the perfect series to get you through those cold nights. This novel is about 336 pages that you will thoroughly enjoy. Oh yeah--it's important to read this series in order as many characters return in each novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment