Monday, August 21, 2023

August 21, 2023 SIX FEET UNDER

I have a confession to make. Don't judge me BUT I have a strange obsession with OBITUARIES. I have been known to scour the obits looking for QUIRKY--FUNNY OBITS. I'm not interested in  traditional obits--those are a dime a dozen. I'm looking for very DIFFERENT obits--the ones that either make my head spin, laugh out loud or both. I'm serious. THEY ARE REALLY OUT THERE. I didn't realize until yesterday that being an obituary writer is an actual profession. If I had known that --I just might have chosen a different profession. Ha. On a serious note-- there is actually a Society of Professional Obituary Writers out there--BUMMER they not accepting new members right now. This is interesting though.  They hold "The Grimmys" every two years. Writers from all around the world submit obits and win awards for best obits.  Who Knew?? The reason I'm thinking about obituaries right now is because I just finished a book and one of the main characters was a professional obituary writer, It's called The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh. As the story unfolds, Emma and Leo have been happily married for ten years and live in London with their young daughter, Ruby. Emma, however, has been struggling with cancer for several years and is hoping to be in remission soon. Emma is a famous Marine biologist and Leo is an obituary writer for a major newspaper. As on obit writer,  one of his responsibilities  is to get "stock obits" ready for the future. Unbeknownst to Emma, Leo begins a "stock obit" for her. While researching her general information, Leo learns that there are some major discrepancies between what Emma has told him of her life and reality. As Leo digs into her past, he starts to believe that Emma is not the woman he thinks she and that their life together is based on lies. Find out what happens to Leo and Emma and why Emma is hiding her past and keeping secrets that could ultimately shatter her future when you read this serious page turner of 385 pages. This is a love story and mystery, with lots of twists and turns with complex, flawed characters that I really enjoyed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment