Sunday, October 22, 2023

October 22, 2023 FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE


 Been having trouble finding the right book lately. I've opened several books, read a few pages and said UGH. Just haven't found what I'm looking for? Not sure I even know. So I decided to get myself to Book Barn this weekend and buy a pile of books. Hopefully one of the eight books sitting on the table in front of me will BE THE ONE.  It's funny--sometimes I read books like some people eat potato chips AND then I have a dry spell. It's not good for me. I REALLY need the escape. Right before the Great Book Drought-- I read a book I really enjoyed called The Last Russian Doll by Kristen Loesch. The main character in this epic is Rosie, a college student who emigrated from Russia to England with her mother under mysterious circumstances. Soon after her mother dies, Rosie gets an opportunity to go back to Russia  to learn about her family. She has few clues other than a porcelain doll collection. The book then flashes back and forth between the present and the early 1900s where the reader learns about the saga of the women in her family amidst the history of Russia including the wars and the Great Purges. I really enjoyed this book but be warned that the names were hard to follow--keep a list so you don't get confused. The plot is also intertwined  and can be confusing at times.  Even with all that said, the book was super interesting--about 400 pages that flew by. Happy Reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment