Tuesday, January 16, 2018

January 16, 2018 I'D REALLY LOVE TO SEE YOU TONIGHT

I'M BACK. Haven't written in a while BUT I HAVE A REALLY GOOD EXCUSE. I went back in time.  I boarded a space craft with a friend and was TRANSPORTED BACK TO THE 1970s. Okay--I'm exaggerating a LITTLE  BIT. I actually went to Tampa for a long weekend for a MINI REUNION with a few friends from GRAMMAR SCHOOL--YIKES--that was 38 years ago. It was SURREAL. Haven't spent time with these GALS IN AT LEAST THIRTEEN YEARS--but it seemed like just yesterday. Our friendship and shared experiences have definitely stood the test of time. IT was an AMAZING experience that I highly recommend.  We laughed until we cried as we reminisced about the GREAT OLD DAYS-- singing in the variety show-- sneaking cigarettes behind the gristmill--even playing basketball for LeBlanc's Leftovers. It was PRICELESS. A WEEKEND THAT I WILL NEVER FORGET. We're  a tiny bit older now and instead of sharing boyfriends as we did in the old days--WE'RE NOW SHARING READING GLASSES--but it's all good. Thanks for going BACK to the 1970s with me. It meant the world. In order to get myself ready to go back in time, I decided to read Steve Rushin's memoir Sting-Ray Afternoons. 

I was initially attracted to the cover of this book--only a product of the '70s would recognize the bike and the groovy striped pants of the boy riding it. I actually had a Sting-Ray with a banana seat and handle bars that made it look like a motorcycle. It was THE COOLEST  bike at the time AND what 8 year old wouldn't want to be seen on a bike that looked like a Harley right??  Anyways, this is very funny coming of age story set in the 1970s in Bloomington, Minnesota. Rushin grew up in a family of seven with ONE bathroom, a father who worked as  a salesman for 3M tape, and a stay at home mom who ran a tight ship. Rushin reminisces about spending five hours every Saturday morning watching cartoons, poring over the Sears Christmas Wish book, remembering Romper Stompers, Bic pens, Mr. Clean and even vacations when the family piled into the wood-paneled station wagon, the kids  in the way back and seatbelts were a foreign language. This is a great book that will have you remembering things you have long forgotten--you will LAUGH OUT LOUD. Check this new memoir out if you get a chance. It's about 320 pages or a 4 mile blast to the past you'll never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment