Saturday, February 17, 2018

FEBRUARY 17, 2018 LET'S GET PHYSICAL

The dreaded physical. It's this week--time  to face my nemesis--THE SCALE.  This weighs HEAVILY on my mind. NO PUN INTENDED. I've been STRESSING about it all week. Been trying to watch my food intake--to tip the SCALES OF JUSTICE-- in my favor before the big day. I've been known to try all kinds of tricks-- dress lightly--take off my shoes--cut my hair --ANYTHING to tip the scale in the right direction--Hell--I'd probably strip naked but the damn scale is out in the hallway. WHY?? Don't they realize every pound  matters???   It's a vicious cycle--it's crazy I know--but THE STRUGGLE IS REAL. The older I get--the MORE that  DAMN scale moves IN THE WRONG direction. NOT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENTLY--must be a metabolism thing. That's what I keep telling myself anyways. I MIGHT LOSE THE BATTLE OF THE SCALE THIS WEEK BUT THE FIGHT will continue against the BULGE. All this talk about weight made me think of the 200 pound diving suit Anna Kerrigan had to wear  in Jennifer Egan's new book Manhattan Beach.

In her newest book, Egan tackles the genre of historical fiction as the reader is transported to  Brooklyn, New York,  when gangsters ruled the docks, night clubs and were the law. As the story begins, Anna Kerrigan is a twelve year old girl who goes on errands with her father. On one such errand, they go to the home of Dexter Styles--a wealthy mobster. As this sweeping novel continues, Anna is now twenty and  employed at the Brooklyn Naval Yard during World War II. Her father has been missing several years and Anna has to work  to support her mother and sister. Against all odds, Anna  becomes the first woman diver, one of the most dangerous jobs at the shipyard. While at a night club one night, Anna see Dexter Styles and decides to find out what happened to her father. This novel has it all--love--betrayal--war--sex--racism--you name it. Find out what happened to Anna's father, mother, sister, Dexter and several other characters when you read this hard to put down novel. Egan is a great writer and the winner of a Pulitzer prize for good reason. It's a bit of a commitment though, at 440 pages--it equivalent to about a 6 mile run-- that's worth every step.

No comments:

Post a Comment