Tuesday, February 6, 2018

February 6, 2018 IF THE BOOT FITS

WHY?? I CAN NOT for the life of me FATHOM why running shoes have to change???? I've been wearing BROOKS ADDICTION 12 for a least 3 years AND LOVE THEM. Went online to order another pair and they are NO LONGER AVAILABLE  unless you have a ridiculously TINY size and  narrow feet. Since I have GIANT-FLAT-WIDE feet--I was out of luck. SO I ORDERED the ADDICTION 13 model--SUPPOSED to be new and improved right?? Well--They're NOT. They are REALLY NARROW-- SMALL TOEBOX --ZERO FLEXIBILITY--All for the low price of $140. So much for NEWER IS BETTER. So frustrating. Runners like to stick with what works--why reinvent the wheel??  It's a pain in the neck to try  different brands AND it's expensive--Kind of like buying a different brand of jeans.  DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO--hoping they stretch out--loosen up--and eventually feel like home. Michael Oher reflects on  homelessness to finding his forever home in his book I Beat the Odds:  From Homelessness, To the Blindside, and Beyond. 
Even if you've seen the Blindside, please read this book. It is an incredible story told by the person who lived it. Oher grew up in Memphis with an addicted mother--into a cycle of poverty and hopelessness. His honestly about what it's like to be trapped in the cycle-- while dreaming of another life is heartbreaking. Football became his way out. Oher worked hard, turned his life around and his dream became a reality after he was adopted by the Touhy family. His story is amazing. He had the courage to change--to break the cycle. His determination to succeed in life is second to none.  I especially loved the last two chapters of the book where he shares his secrets for success. One that pops into my head that I have employed myself over the years--surround yourself with who you want to be. Seek out people who are positive role models and friends who share your values. I urge you to read this important book for yourself--the cycle of poverty is real--the system is real--and it must end. This book is 270 pages--or a 3 mile run--that you will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment