Saturday, October 26, 2019

October 26, 2019 I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN

 I put off decorating for Halloween this year--HOPING--that my youngest was FINALLY  over his obsession with Halloween. I didn't buy the spider webs or mention it at all--thinking to myself--YES!! But it was actually a NO.  So--I dragged out ALL the Halloween CRAP AGAIN and begrudgingly started decorating.  An hour and a half later--the house was ready for  Halloween. I even tried to ignore the WHOLE COSTUME THING.   Didn't want to deal with that either--BUT-- finally had to face the fact--I WAS GOING TO MAKE A SQUIDWARD COSTUME--SOMEHOW.  Yup--Finished it just in the nick of time too. Why am I telling you this????? Because I've been a jerk. A--NEGATIVE--NANNY--WHINER. Instead of appreciating my life--I got lost in the shuffle. I'm actually VERY lucky. I still have someone at home who loves Halloween. I GET to make a costume for someone WHO IS SUPER EXCITED TO WEAR IT. AND I get to hang out and have fun with kids on Halloween. YUP. Good Times. It really is ONLY a matter of perspective.
Raymond Jeffe's perspective on life changes after he meets Milly Guterman in Catherine Ryan Hyde's new book Have You Seen Luis Velez? Set in New York City, Raymond is a seventeen year old boy who lives in an apartment building with his new family. His mom has remarried--and he feels like he just doesn't fit in with his new family. To make matters worse, his best friend moves away, leaving him friendless. One morning as Raymond is leaving his apartment, he hears a call for help in the hallway. This is where he meets Milly Guterman, a blind, ninety-two year old neighbor. She is desperate to find her caretaker and asks Raymond for help. Raymond agrees to help Milly and then is  determined to find her caretaker Luis Velez. After looking in a phonebook, Raymond realizes the task is going to be harder than he anticipated. Will Raymond find Luis Velez? And why would he just disappear? Find out the answers to these questions and so much more when you read this heartwarming story about an unlikely friendship and the power of kindness. It's about 300 pages or a 3.5 mile run that worth every step. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment