Saturday, October 5, 2019

October 4, 2019 SITTIN' ON THE DOCK OF A BAY




Hype. I hate when a book gets TOO hyped up. Everyone is talking about it so you think IT MUST BE GREAT.  It hangs out on The New York Times Best Seller List--FOREVER. You order it from the library AND IT NEVER COMES because the list of people waiting for it is ENDLESS.  AFTER SEVERAL  months --someone lets you borrow it. FINALLY. I know you're thinking--why didn't  I just buy the book right?? I can't. I ONLY buy books that I want to keep in my collection. That means I have read it--loved it--and HAVE to HAVE  IT. That's my rule--or I'd have to rent out a storage unit for my books and that doesn't make sense. BACK TO THE BOOK.  I finally have THE BOOK and can't wait to read it. And that's where the HYPE sort of ruins it. My expectations are HUGE. Don't get me wrong-- I really liked the book--but I wanted to LOVE IT. I wanted to add it to MY LIST of best books EVER--that DAMN HYPE. That's what happened when I read Where The Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. 
Set in North Carolina, the marshlands are as much a character in this beautifully written novel as Kya, a young girl who is forced to fend for herself. At the tender age of six, her mother abandons the family, followed by her older siblings, leaving her to live with her abusive alcoholic father. By the time she is ten years old, she is completely alone in the marshlands. Kya has never been to school and only learns to read and write after her brother's friend Tate takes an interest in helping her. Because she has spent most of her years alone in the swamp, the locals refer to her as the swamp girl. People avoid her when she comes to town and treat her like garbage-- except for Tate. After a popular football player is found dead in the marsh, Kye becomes the obvious suspect and is put on trial for murder. Find out what happens to Kya, Tate and the Marsh when you read this deeply moving novel that's  part coming of age story, mystery, love story and meditation on nature. It's about 400 pages--4 mile run--that I think you will enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment