Tuesday, December 17, 2019

December 17, 2019 BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO

Took a ride over to Kelley's Pace in Mystic the other night for a book signing. The place was hopping. There were many runners and  fans eager to hear Amby Burfoot and Gail Waesche Kislevitz talk about their new book Runspirations. Yes--I wanted to hear them talk about their new book but I was also there BECAUSE my son illustrated the book. Proud Mother moment and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. It's funny--when he was  little--I never imagined that he'd grow up and NOT need his MOM anymore. BUT IT HAPPENS. I know it's our job as parents to guide our children so that they can be independent--successful adults but it's BITTERSWEET. It's hard to let go.  I don't see him  much these days. He's got an apartment--a girlfriend--  a busy life. AND I'M SO HAPPY FOR HIM. Life is good. BUT--every so often--I wish  he still needed me like he used to. CAN'T believe I'm saying this but I ACTUALLY miss cooking for him. These days--I get texts from him asking for recipes and cooking advice. Too funny. 
If you're looking for some advice or running inspiration--look no further than Runspirations--Amazing Stories, Timeless Wisdom, and Motivational Quotes to Help You Run Stronger Every Day. This little gem was written by Amby Burfoot, former editor of Runner's World and 1968 winner of the Boston Marathon, and my friend  Gail Waesche Kislevitz. Gail has been running for 52 years and has completed  all six World Marathon Majors. She's also written six books --that I've reviewed--and highly recommend.  This book includes several amazing short stories of runners who will inspire you to either keep running or start running. One that sticks out in my mind is Sarah Reinertsen. She ran seven marathons--in seven days--on seven continents--with only ONE leg. There is also a section on timeless wisdom that includes tips on training, nutrition, shoes, health, injury prevention, running form, cross training, weather, safety, and lifetime running. The last section of the book is devoted to motivational quotes. This book is a must for every runner. It's full of practical advice and inspiration. It's about 175 pages or a 2 mile run that will keep you moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment