Monday, December 30, 2019

December 29, 2019 BALL OF CONFUSION

Couldn't wait to get Erin Morgenstern's new book. Had my name on the waiting list for months. I absolutely loved  her first book The Night Circus--it was a national bestseller translated into thirty-seven languages. As soon as I got the email from the library--I zoomed downtown giddy as a school girl.  I finally had it in my hands for two whole weeks. I'm gonna say right off that her new book The Starless Sea is HEFTY-- a commitment. One I was more than willing to make based on her last book. Unfortunately that's where the excitement ended.  I tried to will myself to like it. I kept telling myself it would get better if I just stuck with it. But I have to admit that  I really did not enjoy The Starless Sea. 
Here's the premise--Beneath the Earth there is a hidden world at the shore of the Starless Sea. There are all kinds of tunnels and rooms and buildings filled with books and stories. The people who live there are the keepers and protectors of the stories. In order to get to this world one must believe and "see" the painted doorways that act as entryways. After Zachery Ezra Rawlins discovers a mysterious book in the library, he becomes obsessed with finding the Starless Sea.  Zachery's quest leads him to a masquerade ball where he meets Mirabel and Dorian, dwellers of the Starless Sea. The duo convince Zachary to join them in their battle to save The Starless Sea. Pretty sure I have it right. I have to admit that I found the book very confusing. I kept thinking I missed something so I kept going back to reread but I was still confused. It's also not really my type of story---I never liked Harry Potter either--sorry. If you're a Harry Potter fan then maybe you will like this book. Like I said--it's hefty--almost 500 pages that felt like a 10 mile run to me. Check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment