Friday, November 25, 2016

November 25, 2016 WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM MY FRIENDS

The Black Friday run can be iffy......between the food-drink-dessert...... a bit precarious. Over the years though, I have conditioned myself to just do it. Out the door by 8:30 even if I feel like there is a brick in my head or in my stomach. No matter what, I always feel better after the run--REMEMBER--the word "better" is all relative-- depending on your perspective and how long you were making merry the day before. Speaking of making merry, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays for many reasons.  I get to enjoy the day and don't have to worry about the turkey-stuffing-gravy. It's my only holiday off.   For that I am SOOO thankful.  I can get up and run 6 miles--so I don't feel guilty about the pies--and then my family plays in an annual neighborhood soccer game. It's great fun seeing everyone--watching the kids grow--and just having a few laughs with old friends.  The rest of the day is spent with family-enjoying each other's company, reminiscing and being thankful for each other. Perfect. It's a great mixture of family and friends.
Friendships are important to me--I actually still have friends from grammar school--high school--and beyond and couldn't imagine  life without them. So, when I found out  Meg Wolitzer's newest book  The Interestings  was about friendship, I had to read it. Set in the 1970's around Nixon's resignation, six teenagers meet at Spirit in the Woods, an arts summer camp. Jules Jacobson, the main character in the story, introduces the reader to the cast of characters-- all talented individuals--actresses, artists, musicians and writers who ultimately shape her life. Through a variety of seamless narrations, the reader journey's through the characters' lives. Each character has dreams--teenage dreams that change shape with maturity. While some blossom into successes, others are crushed and  left  feeling like failures.  It's also a story  about jealousy, regret and how people measure success over the years.  Through it all, the friendships evolve-change-take on new meaning and impact their lives in a variety of ways.  It's a wonderful story about accepting the good and bad, staying true to yourself and rejoicing in the success of others. This book has had a lasting impact on me and it will do the same for you. It's about 500 pages --or a 7 mile run--worth every page. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment