Monday, November 28, 2016

November 28, 2016 RUNNING ON EMPTY

The GREAT thing about Thanksgiving is that I have 4 days to run--the BAD thing about Thanksgiving is that I have 4 days--IN A ROW--to run. Don't get me wrong, ideally I love running four days in a row--BUT-- realistically its really hard on my body. I'm just not in the best shape right now because I really cut my mileage back when I go back to school. So, by day four, I was hurting in places I didn't know existed. I really should have taken the day off but I didn't --because it's back to the grind again--and  I'll be stressing out about fitting my runs in--chasing my tail! Looking forward to tomorrow and a day of rest because my body is screaming for it--knees, ankles, back, muscles--begging for a break. This makes me think about REAL runners--I  have a healthy respect for the shape they are in. I recently read John L. Parker Jr.'s novel Once a Runner where the main character  Quinton Cassidy tries to break a 4 minute mile. Talk about torture.
The great thing about this book is that Parker, himself, was the Southeastern Conference mile champion three times and the United States Track and Field Federation national steeplechase champion. Although this is fiction, Parker knows what it takes to be a champion and captures it perfectly for the reader. Set in 1978 at a fictional college in Florida, Cassidy's one dream is to run the mile in 4 minutes. He misses his goal by 1 second and then all hell breaks loose--his girlfriend breaks up with him--Vietnam War--suspension from college. Cassidy is devastated but he's still determined to meet his goal. With the help of Olympic medalist Bruce Denton, Cassidy moves to a small cabin and prepares for the race of his life against the reigning mile champion. This is a great book for competitive runners, recreational runners or anyone who likes competitive sports. It is a fun, easy read of about 260 pages or a 4 mile recovery run after a tough race that you will really enjoy.  I just ordered the sequel called Again To Carthage because I am dying to know what happens to Cassidy in the future. Can't wait to read it. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I had forgotten all about this book. Read it ages ago. I have it here somewhere. Thanks for the reminder. And thanks for the hilarious picture. I can relate to the dry heaving, that's for sure. And the not-so-dry heaving after a too-long run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great book. Can't wait to read the sequel. The picture is definitely worth a thousand words. RUNNING IS HARD.

    ReplyDelete