Thursday, October 19, 2017

OCTOBER 19, 2017 THIS ONE'S FOR THE GIRLS

WHAT happened to my eyebrows?? They've always been one of my BETTER features--the framers of the face and all. I use them all the time--MY EXPRESSION IS LITERALLY WRITTEN ALL OVER MY FACE. I NEED THEM.  THE SAD NEWS--they've STOPPED growing--and the ones I have are turning a PASTY GRAY. Never in a million years did I think I would HAVE TO pencil my brows--BUT I DO!!  SERIOUSLY--the maintenance routine is getting me down. AND if I don't color my hair every SIX weeks--I start looking like my GRANDMOTHER. I hear there's this new spray you can buy to fill in the gray between colors--Just ANOTHER thing to ADD to the maintenance regimen. I've often thought of letting my hair go gray BUT I can't pull it off. Some women look great when they go gray--I'd look like a washed up/out OLD HAG. Then there's the other problem I often think about. TRYING TOO HARD.  There's a fine line between looking GOOD and looking like a FOOL.  Hope someone is kind enough to tell me when the balance slants towards FOOL. I realize this rant is a bit kooky but I can't really help myself sometimes.
Marilyn, the main character in Celeste NG's novel Everything I Never Told You obviously has much bigger issues to deal with when her daughter, Lydia, goes missing. James and Marilyn are parents whose daughter is found drown in a lake in their hometown in Ohio in 1977. Her death forces them to reflect on their lives together and the choices they have made. After an accidental pregnancy, James and Marilyn marry.  Marilyn gives up her dream of becoming a doctor--but later forces her dream on her daughter. This is a story about assumptions, misunderstandings, and lack of communication. These parents mean well, but seem to have it all wrong. They don't really know their children at all. Lydia is actually a loner with marginal grades who pretends she is someone else to keep her parents happy. Her brother is actually the brains of the family, but is  ignored in an effort to make Lydia doctor material.  Unbeknownst to her parents, Lydia is also involved with her neighbor James. What actually happened to Lydia that night on the dock? How could her parents have been so blind? Did James have anything to do with Lydia's death? Find out the answer to these questions and many more when you read this winner of several awards including the Amazon Book of the Year in 2014. It's a pretty easy read of about 300 pages or a 3.5 mile run that made me think more about the people I live with and the assumptions and misunderstandings common in all families.

No comments:

Post a Comment