Monday, October 23, 2017

October 23, 2017 WITHOUT A WORD OF COMPLAINT

DON'T COMPLAIN. That's my mantra. Not that I whine a lot--I really don't--because NOBODY likes a whiner. And if you think about it--it really doesn't get you anywhere. It only stirs the pot AND WINDS THE WHINER UP MORE--it's a NO win situation.  So I've tried to let it go. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that--PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT--they're just trying to make it through the day--and stay POSITIVE.  GRUMBLING  brings down morale--IT'S NEGATIVE ENERGY--that I can't let-- BRING ME DOWN.  If you think about it--most of the things complained ABOUT are ridiculous.  PEOPLE HAVE SERIOUS PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD. So its foolish to ramble on about--BLAH BLAH BLAH. Need to keep it all in perspective. While at the grocery store the other day--I was reminded again of my mantra. The check out clerk said that I didn't look happy about being there. I smiled and said--IT'S JUST ONE OF MY JOBS--then stopped myself. SOME PEOPLE WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO BE AT THE GROCERY STORE TODAY and I'm on my way to visit one of them right now. IT'S ALL GOOD.  If only Mr. Stevens, the narrator of Kazuo Ishiguro's Man Booker Prize winner The Remains of the Day had complained or at least spoken from heart,  his life might have turned out differently.
 Set in England and spanning many decades, Stevens is a butler employed at Darlington Hall who  dedicates his life to the service of Lord Darlington. Just before World War II, Miss Kenton is employed at Darlington Hall as the housekeeper. Over time, the pair develop feelings for each other but Stevens denies them out of loyalty to his master. Miss Kenton eventually finds employment elsewhere and marries a Mr. Bern.  Twenty-two years later, Stevens receives a letter from Mrs Bern. The letter catapults Stevens back to the days before the war, where he reevaluates the of the decisions that shaped his life. Find out what happens when Mr. Stevens and Mrs. Bern finally meet again? What will they decide to do with--The Remains of the Day? This wonderful novel was  made into a movie in 1993 and nominated for 8 Academy Awards. FYI--Ishiguro just won the Nobel Prize for outstanding contributions to literature so you really must take some time to read one of his novels. This one is my favorite. And it's not a huge commitment either. It's only about 240 pages or a 3.5 mile run that will stay with you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment