Thursday, April 19, 2018

April 19, 2018 MOTHER'S DAUGHTER

 One month from TODAY my daughter will graduate from college.  I can't believe it. Where did the time go? Seems like just yesterday she was CUDDLE-BUNNYING on my lap. When my daughter was young--she ABSOLUTELY loved me. She was so attached to me that she used to sleep with my picture under her pillow. NOT KIDDING. Fast Forward.  When she got to be a teenager--she pretended I didn't exist-- it was ALL about her friends. Today--it's really come full circle. I'm pretty sure she ABSOLUTELY loves me again--MOST of the time. And the neat thing is--she has become not only my daughter--but also my friend. For that I'm thankful. I look forward to spending time with her and miss her when she's not around. Don't get me wrong--she STILL drives me crazy at times--but that's just because WE'RE SO MUCH ALIKE.  When I look at her--I see my younger self. She really looks--speaks--and acts so much like me. It's CRAZY.  I guess that's what happens when you spend 21 years together. Ain't that the truth!!
Okay. I can not tell a lie. I did not finish the book that I'm reviewing--for good reason. I was too traumatized--it actually gave me nightmares. If you like true-crime books though--this is definitely your cup of tea.  It's called I'll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara. Not sure if you've heard of McNamara, but she was a true-crime journalist and  the creator of a popular website called True Crime Diary before she passed away in 2016. In this book, McNamara painstakingly poured over old police reports, newspaper articles, interviews as well as  reinterviewed victims of a psychopath she coined The Golden State Killer in an effort to bring him to justice. This monster committed 50 sexual assaults in Northern California and several other gruesome murders before disappearing in 1986.  The book detailed the assaults and the murders and was down right terrifying as far as I was concerned. It was well researched and written and even contained an introduction by Gillian Flynn the author of Gone Girl. If true-crime drama is your thing--pick up a copy of this book. It's about 300 pages--or a 4 mile run-- with a section of color photos in the middle depicting several of the victims. Heed my warning though--if you're a FRAIDY CAT like me--run like HELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment