Sunday, July 22, 2018

July 22, 2018 THE LONG RUN

Back on the ice pack. YUP. Can't seem to WILL this injury away. I can run a  decent 5--with TOLERABLE pain--then by mile 6 it's over. Maybe my days as a DISTANCE runner are over. Not sure. Do know one thing for sure though--I won't be running the 56th annual Ocean Beach/ John & Jessie Kelley Half Marathon this summer. First time in 10 years I'll be a SPECTATOR. Think I'll volunteer instead so I can still be a small part of the action. Or maybe I'll ride my bike and cheer on my comrades. Either way--I'll find my way to the GAM for a beer to celebrate with all the runners. If you're looking for a half marathon this August--look NO FURTHER. The Kelley Race is August 4 and it's the ONLY FREE RACE I'VE EVER RUN!! Free admission to Ocean Beach--Free Clam Chowder--bananas--water--after the race. There's even a band performing after the race. The only thing that's not free is the beer. Seriously, I'd never lie!
 Speaking of lies, I just finished Alice's Feeney's International bestseller Sometimes I Lie and I'm still not sure who to believe. This psychological thriller begins when Amber Reynolds "wakes" up in the hospital. She can hear what's going on around her, but she's in a coma. She doesn't remember what happened to her; however, she suspects her husband. The story then alternates between Amber's hospital stay, a week before the accident and a childhood diary from 20 years ago. There are many twists and turns as you never know who is lying and who is telling the truth. Just when I thought I knew what was going on, there was another twist in the story and I was questioning who to trust again. By the end of the book though, the three story lines converge in a shocking way. Don't want to say much more, but I hear there is a sequel in the works that answers many of the loose ends. This real page turner is about 270 pages or a 3.5 mile run that is bent on confusing you and making you ask......did I miss something?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment