Thursday, September 6, 2018

September 6, 2018 DEAD WEIGHT



Generally speaking--I would have to say that the SCALE is and has been my nemesis for many years. That is until today.  I had a doctor's appointment to check on my shingles--AND THE NURSE HAD THE NERVE TO WALK BY THE SCALE. Couldn't believe they weren't gonna weigh me. NORMALLY-- I'd  sign in relief--BUT TODAY WAS DIFFERENT. I wanted to be weighed. HELL--I'D been on MY diet for 6 months--I needed AN OFFICIAL WEIGH IN--recorded for posterity. It's not everyday that you lose 17 POUNDS--right?? This just goes to show that if I can lose weight--anyone can. First off all--I had to hit my ROCK BOTTOM. That's different for everyone but for me--THERE WAS NO WAY IN HELL I WAS GONNA BUY A BIGGER SIZE. My clothes were TOO TIGHT-- AND I HAD some  back FAT and belly FAT hanging over my pants.  SO NOT ME. Then I made the decision to do something about it. I already exercise A LOT--so it was time to look at my diet.   I decided to--CUT out the processed CARBS--cereals--pasta--rice--ice cream--and find healthier alternatives that I COULD LIVE WITH. I think that's the key. It had to work for me or I wouldn't have been able to do it. Before you spend money on some FAD DIET--think about a diet--or new lifestyle that you can live with because there's NO GOING BACK.
 After Emmeline Lake forges her bosses signature on some letters, she realizes there's definitely no going back either. Told in first person, A. J. Pearce's debut novel Dear Mrs. Bird is set in London in the 1940s. Emmy Lake and her best friend Bunty share a flat in London where Germans are regularly bombing the city. Emmy dreams of being a Lady War Correspondent but after a mistake she finds herself typing letters for an advice column with a crotchety boss named Mrs. Bird. She also volunteers as a telephone operator for the Auxiliary Fire Service with Bunty's fiance William. Because Mrs. Bird refuses to reply to letters that she deems unsavory, Emmy takes matters into her own hands--replying and signing Mrs. Bird's name. After tragedy strikes, Emmy must reevaluate her choices and come to terms with the mistakes she's made in order to find her way back to her best friend. I really enjoyed this novel. It was silly, funny, and heartbreaking. This is another novel that looks at the different roles women took during war as they tried to contribute to the war effort. It's about 260 pages or a 3 mile run that will have you laughing at the quirky English humor one minute and crying the next. Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment