Thursday, October 25, 2018

October 25, 2018 UNDER PRESSURE


Okay--I'm not one of THOSE people. I can't stand Party City and I DON'T want to spend a gazillion dollars on a dumb Halloween costume. But what's the alternative??? I also DON'T want to spend what LITTLE free time I have  making a costume either. It's really a catch -22.  That's how I found myself at that ridiculous store the other day--practically begging my son to buy a costume. I'll admit it. I would have paid up to $50 for a costume--JUST TO HAVE IT DONE. I know my older kids are just shaking their heads. I would NEVER have spent that kind of money on costumes for them. I guess that's a perk??  of being the youngest--I just don't care anymore. LET ME BE. Sooooo--we walked up and down every aisle--AND I tried to convince him that the costumes were cool--BUT--OH--NO--He didn't like A SINGLE ONE!!!   So what am I doing?? SPENDING MY FREE TIME TRYING TO MAKE A VERY COOL COSTUME THAT ALL HIS FRIENDS WILL WISH THEY HAD. Yup--spending my time fashioning  a costume WORTHY enough to win the COSTUME CONTEST at his school.  And I'll be the one REALLY DISAPPOINTED if he doesn't win.  IT WILL ALSO BE MY FAULT--of course. It's A LOT of PRESSURE. It's also a lot of pressure for Frances Jellico after she arrives at Lyntons, an English Country Mansion, in Claire Fuller's new book Bitter Orange.  
Frances is a 39 year old woman who has spent her entire life with her mother. After her mother's death, anxiety ridden Frances takes a job at Lyntons, where she is to survey the gardens and architecture surrounding this once grand mansion that has been  purchased by an American named  Mr. Lieberman. Once she arrives, she meets a seemingly perfect couple, Peter and Cara, who have also been hired to report on the contents and condition of the mansion. The couple seamlessly envelop Frances in their daily rituals--eating, drinking, smoking to excess-- and she happily accepts their lifestyle as this is the first time she can remember having any friends. But are the couple really who they seem to be?? Why does Cara tell elaborate stories and more importantly, why does Peter put up with her?? And how does Frances find herself falling in love with Peter while Victor  stands by and lets her ruin her life? Find out for yourself when you read this atmospheric, psychological thriller for yourself. This haunting tale is about 320 pages --a four mile run--with twists and turns that will leave you wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment