Sunday, December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018 SANTA BABY

SANTA CLAUS.  Not sure if my youngest--STILL BELIEVES--in the BIG GUY or not. He didn't write SANTA a letter this year and hasn't mentioned  him AT ALL.  I'm afraid to say anything for FEAR that he's gonna ask me if Old Saint Nicholas is real or NOT.  It's actually a little stressful. Do I JUST come right out and say there's NO SANTA or go along with it one more year. I have half a mind TO SCREAM--THERE'S NO SANTA because it's ALL TOO MUCH FOR ME. Shipping all the gifts to the office--taking them home-- hiding them-- finding time to wrap them--only to hide them again. I know it's not--ALL ABOUT ME--BUT-- IT'S EXHAUSTING. Although I'm a TINY BIT sad that my little guy is growing up--I'm secretly relieved. This being SANTA CLAUS is a lot of work. It's been 25 years--time to retire. HO HO HO.
If you're looking for a laugh-out-loud collection of essays to get you through this holiday season--check out David Sedaris' new book Calypso.  First of all, I must confess that this is my first time reading Sedaris--not sure why--but look forward to rectifying that over the school break. This book continues (he has apparently written several essay collections) with stories about his relationship with his father, mother, sisters, and partner Hugh. Most of the stories take place at his new vacation home in North Carolina and revolve in one way or another around issues that include middle age, mortality and the breakdown of the body from its former glory. I personally enjoyed the stories about his Fitbit obsession, playing Sorry, crazy shopping sprees with his sisters, and his ever-changing relationship with his 90 year old father. Although many of the stories are quite funny, others are a little dark and serious because Sedaris totally understands the human condition and is sensitive to changes and aging. He reflects back on his life in an all too honest way that is actually quite refreshing. His family isn't perfect and that's okay. Life is what it is--funny-sad-crazy. Take it and run with it. This collection is about 270 pages--3 mile run--that will leave you wanting to read his other books. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marsha,
    Start your break with "Holidays on Ice." That's one of my all time favorite books! Then go to "Me Talk Pretty One Day." I laughed so hard while reading that, I practically hyperventilated many times. I wish I hadn't read any David Sedaris books because I'd love to start all over again... (And if you ever get the chance, go see him live.)
    Merry Christmas! ~Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do. I just got Let's Explore Diabetes with Owls. Have you read it? I ordered Me Talk Pretty One Day and Holidays on Ice. Can't wait to read them. Happy New year. Marsha

    ReplyDelete