Friday, July 31, 2020

July 31, 2020 BEHIND THE MASK

The MASK. It's complicated. NO matter which kind I try---MY GLASSES FOG UP AND I CAN'T SEE A DAMN THING. It's SO frustrating. I've tried different materials, ties,  nose clips--HELL--I'm on the verge of bankruptcy. I've finally decided that I'm just going to wear my glasses to drive and the HELL
WITH IT. I'll be blind as a bat the rest of the time. While I'm talking about masks. I have a question that must be answered before I go back to school. Do my masks have to color coordinate with my outfits? I know that sounds like a strange questions BUT I have certain standards. Can I wear a mask that's purple & red with an  orange outfit? Seriously--I'm NOW seeing the "MASK" as part of my ENSEMBLE--much like a scarf. AND I AM A SERIOUS LOVER OF THE SCARF. Don't think I'll be wearing my scarves to school though--a MASK and a SCARF together IS  JUST TOO MUCH. SO--is my MASK--my NEW SCARF? If so--then I need to get to work. I've got some coordinating to do. And what about my lipstick?? What's the point if I have to wear a mask?? NO more coordinating my lipstick with my outfit either? I might have to start painting my nails instead. THIS IS A LOT FOR ME. I have an image to uphold and this "MASK THING" is really cramping my style. The residents of The Causes Housing Project feel the same way when drug dealers take over their park in James McBride's new book Deacon King Kong. 
One day a drunken church deacon known as Sportcoat has had enough. After a few too many drinks, he heads out to the courtyard and shoots a drug dealer. This is not just any drug dealer, this is a kid who grew up in the projects. A kid that Sportcoat once coached and taught Sunday School. It's September 1969 and drugs, organized crime and theft have taken over the projects. The shooting sets off a chain of events that changes all involved as well as the future of the Causes and the Five Ends Baptist Church. I know this book may sound sad and it is to a point, but  it is also  quite funny--laugh out loud funny.  McBride  brings to life a cast of colorful characters that are unforgettable including Hot Sausage, Bum Bum, The Elephant and Hurly Girly to name a few. This is ultimately a story about a community of people who band together to save their church and make their home safe. I really enjoyed the story, LOVED the characters and learned a lot about a community that I knew nothing about. It's only 380 pages or a 4 mile run worth every minute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment