Saturday, April 15, 2023

April 15, 2023 THE POST WAR DREAM

 

Couldn't have asked for a better April break. The weather was incredible. I actually went to the beach a few times because it was 80 degrees! When I wasn't at the beach though--I somehow managed to buy TOO many books. A few here and then a few there and before I knew it--well you know. I can't help myself. It's kind of like that with me and shoes too. I am always on the lookout for a new pair of sandals, boots, running shoes. That's why I've got to get back to work--I need to stop spending money. Just finished a great book that you might be interested in. Did you read The Boy in the Striped Pajamas? It was written by John Boyne--one of my favorite writers. Well, he has a new book out that I couldn't resist buying called All The Broken Places. Turns out that it's about Bruno's older sister Gretel. Bruno was the boy in the striped pajamas whose father was the commandant at Auschwitz. In All the Broken Places, Gretel Fernsby is a 91 year old woman living in London. She doesn't talk about her past for many reasons including the fear that she could be arrested. After a new family moves into her building, Gretel befriends the young boy who stirs up  memories she'd rather forget. The chapters go back and forth between the past and the present where the reader learns about Gretel's life and the guilt, grief and pain she's managed to hide for most of her life. I really enjoyed revisiting the characters from the first book. It was interesting to learn about Gretel and see how the war shaped her life. It's about 380 pages and well worth the read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment