Thursday, July 18, 2024

July 18, 2024 RUNNING ON EMPTY

 

Ran the annual Sailfest 5k on Sunday. NO TRAINING AT ALL. It was a last minute thing. Got together with old running friends to relive our glory days. Not sure when they changed the course but it's basically an in and out--NO HILLS. Thank God. Back in the day--there were a few serious hills that killed me every time. Sadly--this race--without hills--killed me too. I'm just not in shape to run in the HEAT-HUMIDITY. There wasn't a breath of air out there. My first two miles were pretty good BUT then I DIED. I couldn't keep up the pace. I actually had to stop and walk several times because I felt like I was going to THROW UP.  I'd rather run in the dead of winter through a snowstorm then run in that heat again. Ha. After every race--we always share a beer. Couldn't find a bar open. Luckily--Muddy Waters--in addition to coffee-tea-smooothies--HAS ICE COLD BEER. They saved the day. Cheers! If you like books about books--I can't resist them--then check out The Bookman's Tale by Charlie Lovett. The main character of this mystery is Peter Byerly, an antiquarian bookseller and recluse. After his beloved wife, Amanda, dies of cancer at a young age, he is paralyzed with grief. He decides on a whim to leave North Carolina for their home in England to try to pick up the pieces. One day while in a rare bookstore, Peter comes across a Victorian watercolor from the 18th century that looks just like his wife. He becomes obsessed with finding more about the painting and in doing so discovers a rare copy of Pandosto, which is believed to be source material for some Shakespeare plays. Somehow the Pandosto and the painting are linked and Peter is determined to find out how. Along the way, Peter meets an Art Scholar named Liz who helps him solve this literary/art mystery that is full of twists, turns, suspense, murder and intrigue. This is a well written, historically accurate pay turner--a great escape! It's only about 350 pages. Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment