Friday, December 16, 2016

December 16, 2016 NOBODY KNOWS YOU WHEN YOU'RE DOWN AND OUT

I saw a few die hards or crazies out running in sub zero temperatures yesterday. One was in shorts and the other shirtless with some type of cape on. Maybe he was a superhero. Who knows??  Anyways, after seeing the guy in shorts, I thought to myself--HHMM maybe I should brave the extreme elements too.  I'm sort of crazy like that-- luckily-- my slightly saner side won out and talked me into going to the gym. The extreme cold and wind are a killer on the skin and vanity always wins--as I figure I need all the help I can get keeping my skin in GLOWING condition. Many people don't have the luxury to worry about their skin though--and I saw that first hand while working at the soup kitchen last night. At least a hundred men, women and children braved the cold because they were in need of a decent meal. Many showed the effects of the cold and wind--red faced, disheveled and wind blown. Others lacked gloves, hats, scarves or even a decent coat to keep out the cold. We provided a nice, warm meal and I'm hoping they all found a warm place to rest their weary bodies for the night.
I know that my problems are really insignificant--merely jokes in the face of the harshness of the world and I am thankful for that, however, the three main characters in Marie-Helene Bertino's debut novel 2 A.M. At The Cat's Pajama are pretty down and out. It's Christmas Eve and 9 year old Madeleine has had a hard day. Everyone at school hates her and she's been sent home again with lice. Her grief stricken father is almost paralyzed with sadness at the recent death of her mom, and aspiring jazz singer Madeleine has never felt more alone. Meanwhile, her new fifth grade teacher, Sarina Greene, is also having a rough holiday season.  Recently divorced, Sarina has moved back to Philadelphia where she has reluctantly agreed to meet up with some old school friends including an old flame for dinner.  Across town, Lorca, the owner of the famous Jazz club, The Cat's Pajama, is up against a wall. If he can't raise 30,000 dollars by Christmas he will have to close his beloved bar forever.  Find out what happens to these three lost souls--each  searching for something different--music-love-hope when you read 2 A.M. At The Cat's Pajama.  The writing is good and the characters in this book are wonderfully written. You will root for all of them to find what they are searching for in this easy to read page turner of about 290 pages. It's about a 3 mile run-cold but not icy-that will warm your heart this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment