Saturday, December 31, 2016

December 31, 2016 BLUE AIN'T YOUR COLOR

Over the last 24 hours, I've signed up for the 1000 mile challenge and the Mystic half marathon. The 1000 mile challenge seems doable--I have a year to run/walk/exercise 1000 miles. The half marathon is more of a challenge because that will require long runs during the school year and they can be really hard to fit in. It's good for me to have goals for 2017 AND it's also a great way to stay motivated through the LLOONNGG winter.  I usually get through January without a problem--it's supposed to be cold. February isn't too bad as it's a short month and we have a break from school. Now March and April are a different story. March is the longest month ever and it's REALLY cold. My brain keeps telling me it's getting warmer but it doesn't happen. It gets to be a drag. Then fickle April comes around--AND--just when I think I've made it through another winter, I'm fooled again. That's why I have to stay focused and have goals for myself through the dense jungle known as winter--I could get lost--take a wrong turn--if I'm not careful. Hope you're setting some realistic goals this New Year's Eve and have a Happy 2017.
Nick Hornby wrote a great book a few years back that always pops into my head on New Year's Eve called A Long Way Down. I must confess that I am a big fan of Hornby--and went through a phase where I read all of his books. Many of them have even made it to the big screen-- High Fidelity, About a Boy and Fever Pitch to name a few. I'm a fan of British writers and find his writing to be both witty and intelligent.  A Long Way Down is a dark comedy about four strangers who find themselves together on the roof of Toppers' House contemplating suicide. Martin is a disgraced TV talk show host, JJ is a failed musician, Jess is a teenage girl with boyfriend problems, and Maureen is a lonely mother with a disabled child. After meeting on the roof and realizing their plan is ruined, the four strangers take turns telling their story to the group. Hornby does an excellent job here--Four very distinct characters told in first person. After getting to know each other, they resolve to wait 90 days. They also decide to help each other overcome their problems. Find out what ultimately happens to these quirky characters by reading this dark--but laugh out loud comedy. It's an easy read of 350 pages--about a 4 mile run--that will definitely make you feel better about your life.

2 comments: