Thursday, December 29, 2016

December 29, 2016 YOU'VE GOT A FRIEND

Habits. We all have them--some are great--and others--WELL--I'll leave it at that. They are something that just become part of our lives over time. Nothing makes me happier than going out for a run at 8:30 a.m.--it's become a habit over the years. I feel most ready to start the day when I get that morning run in--EVEN during vacation. It's crazy--I could sleep in a bit longer--run at 10:00--but I don't because it's my norm--I also had plans this morning to meet up with some old friends and was determined to squeeze a run in first. While running, I thought about my old friends and realized that they are like habits--good ones--people I've been lucky to  have in my life for almost 40 years. I learned at a young age that in order for me to survive and be successful, I needed to surround myself with whom I wanted to be--and this wasn't necessarily going to be found at home. Thankfully, I chose well or did they choose me?? Who knows but it's all good.  We don't get together often, but when we do, it's like time stands still. It's never awkward--we never run out of things to jabber on about. These are the people who have known me through good times and bad. They know where I've been and watched me grow and change over the years. Hopefully for the better. They are the people who have never judged me or competed with me. They just cheered me on and always wanted the best for me as much as I did them. I guess that's why the friendship has endured. We grow, change and continue to laugh A LOT. Thanks for the memories.
When I was in middle school, one of my best friends though was a book. That might sound strange but it's true. I never would have survived without Judy Blume's classic Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. I must have taken this-- Times 100 best fiction books--out of the library at least 10 times in middle school. I felt such a deep connection to Margaret, the main character of the story. Middle school is a tough time for girls and Blume's character spoke to me. She is worried about puberty, buying bras and sanitary napkins--sounds so old fashioned. Margaret is also insecure because her parents haven't introduced  her to organized religion.  Margaret copes with the unknown and her insecurities by informally  praying to God on a regular basis on a variety of topics.  She also forms a secret club with a group of girls where they discuss exercises to increase their busts, kissing boys and other highly important topics. Seriously though, this is an excellent book for any middle school girl. They will appreciate and be able to relate to Margaret and she just might be able to get them through some tough years. It's about 150 pages or an easy 3 mile run that has stuck with me forever, like an old friend. It will do the same for you. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment