Monday, December 26, 2016

December 26, 2016 AULD LANG SYNE

The holidays are exhausting. Cooking, cleaning, wrapping, smiling, making conversation, making eye contact,  cooking, cleaning, wrapping........oh, I already said that.......and fitting in a few runs. No wonder I'm so tired. As much as I love the holiday, I am relieved that it's December 26th.  Ran about five miles on Christmas morning--No small feat after making TOO much  merry on Christmas Eve. Ran again this morning--OKAY--did a lot of walking this morning--THE AFTER EFFECTS OF TWO DAYS OF CELEBRATING THE HOLIDAYS. Seriously though, this smiling, making conversation and eye contact thing can really take a lot out of a person, especially, someone like me.  As much as I love being with family and friends, I really am kind of a loner. I enjoy  the peace and solitude of every day life--maybe it's because I am surrounded by constant noise and 100 or more different kids everyday at work.  Who knows? Anyways, looking forward to 2017 as my comrades and I plan to log 1000 miles--our New Year's resolution. Anyone care to join us on our adventure--let me know--the more the merrier. HO HO HO. By the way, I'm really not one to make New Year's resolutions, but at least my resolution seems more attainable than the main character of Helen Fielding's hilarious novel of 1996 Bridget Jones Diary. 
Poor Bridget is a thirty-something year old single woman working and living in London. She's facing another Christmas, alone, bombarded with the same old questions. So, Bridget decides to make some changes with the new year. Number one--lose weight. Number two-- cut down on cigarettes and alcohol. She also aims to be a better person, learn something new and improve her PATHETIC love life. Written in the form of a personal diary, the reader is treated to a year in the life of Bridget Jones. Bridget's life, family and friends are laugh-out-loud funny, especially, her mum. Throughout the year Bridget fights her weight, vices and tries to find her place in middle-class British society. She also get caught up in a love triangle of sorts between her playboy, double crossing boss and "The snooty lawyer" Mark Darcy--whom her parents want her to marry. Find out what ultimately happens to Bridget--does she lose weight--cut down on her vices--find her dream man--when you read this comedic story. This is the first installment of a three books series, that won the British Book Award in 1998 and has sold over 2 million copies. If you enjoy this book, than you will certainly love the others. At only 280 pages--or a 4 miler--you will have this finished in no time. Enjoy--and think long and hard before you make that New Year's resolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment