Tuesday, October 11, 2016

October 11, 2016 SHOO FLY DON'T BOTHER ME

Now that I'm running at dusk--I'm bombarded with gnats. The seem to attack in  herds--IMPOSSIBLE to avoid. In the last week, I have had gnats in my eyes, up my nose and YES--I am pretty sure I have swallowed a one or two.  I know that is gross but what can I do?? They surround ME like a swarm of bees--there is literally NO place to hide. I really TRY NOT TO BREATH, BLINK OR OPEN MY MOUTH when they sneak up on me from behind a bush--BUT--try as I MIGHT-- I'm probably inhaling several hundred of these protein filled little guys every time I run.  No wonder I can't lose weight, right?? It's just another perk to running after work. Anyways, I am not a huge fan of insects, although I like spiders (thanks to Charlotte) the walking stick is pretty cool and I love butterflies--I am completely grossed out by FLIES though. The thought of them turns my stomach--DIRTY LITTLE CREATURES. The whole subject of bugs is one of the reasons you won't find me hanging out in the forest of the Belgian Congo like the Price Family in The Poisonwood Bible written by Barbara Kingsolver.
I absolutely loved this book because it is  literally a one of a kind novel that really captivated my attention. Kingsolver tells her story through the eyes of Orleanna, wife of Nathan Price, in the 1970's as she reflects back on her life.  In 1959, Orleanna, a new bride, and her husband Nathan, an ultra conservative Baptist preacher, take their four daughters from their lovely home in the United States to live in the Congo for Missionary work. Once they reach the village of Kilanga, Orleanna realizes they are totally unprepared to live in the culture or in the climate of Africa. The HUNDREDS OF BUGS (including flesh eating driver ants and locust just to name a few) animals, forests and Congolese are completely alien to this American family. To make matters even worse, Nathan is so wrapped up with saving the souls of Kilanga, that he fails to help his family adjust and ultimately loses them for good. Although the story is told through the eyes of Orleanna, the chapters  alternate to include the voices  of her four daughters and their feelings about living in Kilanga. After her youngest daughter dies, Oleanna finds the courage to save her other daughters as she flees the Congo to return to America. Read this great treasure to find out more about the Price family and what ultimately happens to each member of the family. I have to confess that this is a bit of a dense read--576 pages--an 8 mile run--that you will never forget. Just try to shield yourself from the bugs and you'll be fine. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment