Thursday, October 13, 2016

October 13, 2016 THE LONG RUN

I usually try to run 5 miles when I go out---but the ideal run to me is 6 miles. It's a nice round number. If you can run 6 with RELATIVE ease you can easily train for a longer race because you have a base. The theory goes something like this--if you can run 6, you can run 12--which is almost a half marathon.  Sounds weird, but that's my philosophy and I'm sticking with it. Unfortunately, during the week I am only able to do short runs--3.5 or 4 miles depending on the day as the SUN is setting earlier and earlier with each PASSING day. Sad times ahead-- PASS ME A TISSUE, PLEASE. This really frustrates me because that decreases my weekly mileage and overall fitness. I know this is a silly thing to ponder but I have my standards--albeit low in comparison to others--BUT it's this thing called WORK that keeps getting in my way. Not sure what to do about that inconvenience yet-- Anyways-- SHORT, LONG, SHORT, LONG----hope you see where I'm going with this. Books, they come in all shapes and sizes. Some are long while others short. One type of book that I have not reviewed until now is a book that is a collection of short stories. Short stories are great when you don't feel like committing to long term relationship or you just want to have a one night stand--SORRY--I couldn't help myself.   I personally enjoy reading short stories, especially during the school year when I feel pulled in 5000 directions and my attention span wanes.
I read a beautiful collection of short stories last year  called Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. This little gem won a Pulitzer prize in 2009 and was actually made into a mini-series about a year ago. The interesting thing about the book is that the reader gets to know Olive by reading thirteen short stories about different periods in her life. Strout actually calls her book a "novel in stories". After reading the book, I walked away with an intimate knowledge of not only Olive but also myself as there is a little bit of Olive, both good and bad, in all of us. In some of the stories, I despised Olive while in others, I understood her and actually empathized with her. One of the things I learned from the book is not to judge people too harshly because we all endure many things--at times great sadness, then joy--in this complicated business known as life. AND LIFE IS LONG.  This is a book I will read over again because the lessons in the stories are important to me--maybe there is a little too much Olive in me and I need to remind myself that that's  okay. By the way--Olive Kitteridge is about 270 pages--a 5 mile run--that you will never forget or regret. I promise--remember there is a little Olive in all of us. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment