Thursday, October 6, 2016

October 6, 2016 BLINDED BY THE LIGHT

Have you ever been so deep in thought while running that you ran into someone?? Sounds weird, I know, but it has happened to me. When I run alone, I usually mull over problems--with my own kids--kids at school-- lesson plan objectives--how am I going to fit that in too issues--whatever. I get so wrapped up in what I am thinking that I actually START TALKING TO MYSELF and eventually lose track of what I am doing and before I know it--BANG-- I'VE RAMMED into  someone. My worst episode--if that's what you want to call it-- happened awhile back.  I ran right into a blind person. Ironic, since I am the one who can supposably see, right???   I felt terrible-- I'm sure I scared the life out of the poor guy. Sometimes I do not know where my brain is--oh, yes, I do--I have WAY too many things on my mind--like my head is spinning out of control--HENCE-- the reason I have gone running into first place--WAIT-- isn't the running supposed to help me clear my head.?? I don't want to ponder this too deeply or I am apt to hurt myself OR someone else. Anyways, after banging into the blind person I got to thinking about how frightening it must be to venture out in the world unable to see and that reminded me of the main character in 2015 Pulitzer Prize winning book by Anthony Doerr entitled All the Light We Cannot See.

The main character of this lovely novel is Marie-Laure. She lives with her father, an employee of the Museum of Natural History, in Paris during World War II. At the age of six, Marie goes blind so her father builds her a miniature of their neighborhood--Saint-Malo--so that Marie can find her way around  the neighborhood--by touch and counting her footsteps. When Marie is twelve years old,  the Nazis storm Paris forcing Marie and her father flee Paris to live with a great uncle. In an attempt to hide valuable jewels owned by the museum, Marie's father is targeted and sought after to be questioned by the Nazis.   Meanwhile, in Germany, a young orphan named Werner finds an old radio and becomes an expert at fixing radio equipment--a skill highly regarded by the Hitler Youth Academy. After attending the academy, Werner is given a special assignment--tracking the resistance. His travels eventually bring him to Marie-Laure's home--Saint Malo where their lives become intertwined in unimaginable ways. This is a beautifully written novel that you will have difficulty putting down. Although it is about 500 pages--they fly by--I guarantee you will get lost in the story--much like I lose myself on my runs.  I would have to say this is about a 6 mile run--an easy one though--so enjoy the journey. AH, PARIS.

No comments:

Post a Comment